Friday, July 13, 2018

Happy Anniversary!!!❤️

I’m so thankful God blessed me with AMAZING parents! Today marks their 55th year of marriage! Pretty amazing, especially considering the trials and tribulations that life and relationships bring...šŸ’ž 
Happy Anniversary!! 

Just because I like to share my heart, I’ve added to OUR story...

My mom went to the University of Illinois on a scholarship to study physical education and my dad left high school early to enlist in the United States Marine Corps, graduating from high school in California. Upon his honorable discharge, he was accepted into the Illinois State Police Academy while my mom finished her bachelor’s and earned teaching certification in physical education. Both began their careers in public service. My siblings and I came along and were able to experience life under the guidance of a state trooper and professional educator, but most importantly super parents who modeled the importance of service of others over self. ❤️

They endured much TOGETHER. As an adult I now understand the gravity of some of their struggles, challenges I didn’t quite understand as a child. 

While working as a physical educator at Hardin Grade School, my mother experienced the unfathomable: a child died on her watch. My recollection could be skewed because I’m basing this information only on my memory as a child, but lil’ Joyce Friedel was in PE class and was running in the gym when she collapsed. I remember being at home with my mom when hearing the news that they were unable to revive her. My parents lived and worked in this small community and were friends with the Friedels; thus, the climate at home was very sad and somber. I now know how difficult this was for Joyce’s parents and siblings (one of whom was a best friend @Judy). My heart still hurts for them today! I would never understand just how difficult this was for my mother until I became an educator, responsible for the safety and well being of other’s loved ones. 

So to all educators and school/district leaders out there- THANK YOU! I know the difficulty of your job and appreciate you so much!! ❤️

Several very challenging circumstances surface when I reflect on my dad’s work. A law enforcement officer, he has done what no one person wants to do: deliver to parents the news of the death of their child, give a speeding ticket to a friend, arrest someone he knows, move his  family out of their home for weeks due to a death threat, and the list goes on.   You don’t always make friends serving as a police officer. Drinking became an escape for my dad. Admittedly, he became an at-home, after-work alcoholic; he depended on that drink every day. As a family, my siblings, mother, and I sat down with him. We communicated our love for him but provided an ultimatum: alcohol or family. While this is seemingly jarring and harsh, we knew it was the only way to intercede. I also must give credit to my mother for her strength and commitment to my dad and the family. ❤️

My dad chose the latter for which we are all so thankful. He has been alcohol free for many years! ❤️ 

So to all men and women in blue- THANK YOU! The difficulty of your job is indescribably great, especially at the present time, so please know  you are appreciated so much! šŸ’™

Many wait too long to share their heart. I’m not going to be the person, the daughter who fails to communicate my feelings out loud and in public now while my parents are alive. I want them and ALL to know how proud I am of them. Beating alcoholism is incredibly tough! My dad did it! Raising kids is tough, particularly a challenging teenage daughter! I apologize for the grief through which I put you (and anyone else for that matter!). I understand now and am so grateful for your high expectations! ❤️ Eventually kids get it!! EVENTUALLY... 

My parents supported my siblings and me during marriage and in those unfortunate times of divorce. They were very present during the births of their grandchildren and the deaths of  their grandson (Andrew) in 1991 and son (Craig) in 1996. While parents and grandparents should never have to bury their children or grandchildren, my parents raised us to know and love Jesus Christ, our Savior. Thus, I thank God for blessing us with our loved ones for the time we had with them and know we will see them again, SOON! ❤️

Our parents supported us in our work promotions and career changes and remain our biggest cheerleaders and strongest advocates. They provide guidance STILL and Big Jim continues to bark orders! Some things never change! šŸ˜³

We are definitely not perfect and have experienced trials in life like everyone does. We have made mistakes and have certainly learned a lot along the way. But through it all, we have been greatly blessed! Having wonderful parents who have modeled the importance of doing the right thing for the right reasons-even when actions are not the most popular, we strongly embrace our luck and blessings from God and are extremely thankful not only for our parents but also for the wonderful people with whom our parents surrounded us! To this day, let me just say we were exposed to many exemplary role models for whom we also owe much gratitude! ❤️  Uncle Don & Aunt Peg, Mary Kay Weineke, Aunt Laura Lou Pohlman, and so many others! 


If you happen to see Jim and Bonnie (No, they still aren’t on FB), please give them a pat on the back or a big ole hug. Making it 55 years of marriage these days is quite a feat. And for my mother, making it 55 years with Big Jim might just earn her the title of WIFE OF THE 1/2 Century! šŸ˜‰

No comments: