Friday, August 05, 2005

The Importance of Surrounding Oneself with Great People

Independent Country Music Artist

I began my day retrieving my email, as I always do, and in my inbox was a quote, one I get everyday for I subscribe to both the Positive Quote of the Day and the Personal Achievement Quote of the Day listservs. Both are great listservs to which to belong, but sometimes they really touch on what's truly related to one's life, as my personal achievement quote by Mark Twain does, as it reads,

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

What a great way to say that those people who really support your endeavors, those who are on your side, willing to pump you up when you feel like you're going down, are those with whom you must associate. I've found in this business (the music business), it doesn't matter how little you are, once you get out there and begin getting some media, some will try to knock you down. I've made it my duty to find only those who are great, those with great attitudes, great families, great situations, are those with whom I will surround myself. I do believe in the business & political worlds the great leaders say to surround yourself with good people and they will make you look great. Well, that's my goal. And I know I'm headed in the right direction.

While the many outstanding citizens of yesteryear, those who have made an indentation in our world's history in a positive manner, have provided guidance to those of use who look to model people for advice on how to become a better person, I follow their example but, most importantly, I follow the examples of my friends, colleagues and family members I respect, in particular my mom and dad. They taught my two simple rules: Treat people respectfully and hard work will give you great satisfaction!!

I believe I will take their advice, continue surrounding myself with the great folks of the world, and think positively. One never knows what the road ahead holds for us now do they???

1 comment:

liz said...

I love that quotation. I hope you don't mind if I use it. Is there an attribution?